Maurice WilsonMay 27, 2021
From the Military to Academia
A Discussion with Maurice Wilson
New Books Network 2021
Welcome to The Academic Life. You are smart and capable, but you aren’t an island, and neither are we. So we reached across our mentor network to bring you podcasts on everything from how to finish that project, to how to take care of your beautiful mind. Wish we’d bring in an expert about something? Email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Find us on Twitter: The Academic Life @AcademicLifeNBN.
In this episode you’ll hear about: Maurice Wilson’s journey from the military to higher education, how he has pursued his dual interests in aviation and creative writing, and a discussion of his chapter in Learning from the Lived Experiences of Graduate Student Writers.
Our guest is: Maurice Wilson, who considers himself the “Robin Hood” of academic literacy. Maurice develops and implements a comprehensive training program curriculum for writing center consultants at a large urban university. He is the administrator for a developmental writing program, and provides training and support for instructors and other writing groups. A career US Army aviator, Maurice taught basic and advanced composition and literature at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, and retired from military service following his stint as a graduate teaching fellow before moving into writing center administration. Maurice also teaches professional writing for Ed.D. students. His research interests include the diverse student voices in writing centers, the writing of military veterans, and HBCU writing programs.
Our host is: Dr. Christina Gessler, a historian of women and gender.
Listeners to may be interested in:
- Learning from the Lived Experiences of Graduate Student Writers, edited by Shannon Madden, Michele Eddice, Kirsten Edwards, and Alexandria Lockett
- ‘The Early Catastrophe” by Betty Hart and Todd R Risley
- Generation Vet: Composition, Student Veterans and the Post-9/11 University by Sue Doe and Lisa Lanstraat
- The Strategic Student Veteran: Successfully Transitioning from the Military to College Academics by David Cass
- How to Mentor Graduate Students: A Guide for Faculty at a Diverse University from the University of Michigan’s The Rackham School of Graduate Studies
- What We Wish We’d Known: Negotiating Grad School by Ryan Skinnell, Judy Holiday, and Christine Vassett
- Information about all HBCUs
- Information about the US Military Academy.
- Careers in US Army Aviation
- Clueless in Academe by Gerald Graff
- Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paolo Freire