Darragh McCashinMay 4, 2023
Do You Have Imposter Syndrome?
A Discussion with Darragh McCashin
New Books Network 2023
Why do so many students and academics worry that they are imposters? Is it normal to experience this kind of self-doubt? This episode explores:
- The difference between imposter syndrome and imposter phenomenon.
- How we can better understand imposter syndrome.
- Why it strikes some people.
- How to recognize it when it does.
- Tips for helping others and ourselves.
Our guest is: Dr Darragh McCashin, who is an Assistant Professor in the School of Psychology at Dublin City University (DCU), and is interested in digital youth mental health, and clinical/forensic applications of technology. Previously, Darragh was a Marie Curie Fellow/PhD student at University College Dublin (UCD), examining technology-enabled youth mental health within the EU H2020-funded TEAM-ITN project, specifically the role of technology-assisted cognitive behavioural therapy for children using mixed methodologies. A second strand to Darragh’s research is that of forensic/criminal psychology. With an MSc in Applied Forensic Psychology (University of York), Darragh has previously worked as an Associate Lecturer and Research Assistant in the Online-Protect research group at the University of Lincoln case formulation tools for those with convictions for internet sexual offences.
With respect to policy-making, Darragh is currently the taskforce leader for Mental Health of Researchers within the Policy Working Group of the Marie Curie Alumni Association (MCAA), and co-founded the researcher mentoring programme Referent. Darragh also sits on two COST Actions: Researcher Mental Health Observatory (CA19117; Working Group Chair), and the European Network for Problematic Usage of the Internet (CA16207; management committee member for Ireland).
Our host is: Dr. Christina Gessler, a historian of women and gender.
Listeners to this episode may also be interested in:
- How We Show Up: Reclaiming Family, Friendship and Community, by Mia Birdsong
- It’s a Wonderful Life: Insights on Finding a Meaningful Existence, by Frank Martela
- Set Boundaries, Find Peace: A Guide to Reclaiming Yourself, by Nedra Glover Tawwab
- The Rejection That Saved My Life, by Jessica Bacal
- The Academic Life podcast on belonging and the science of creating connection and bridging divides
- The Academic Life podcast Dealing With Rejection
- The Academic Life podcast On The Museum of Failure
Welcome to The Academic Life! On the Academic Life channel we are inspired and informed by today’s knowledge-producers, working inside and outside the academy. Find us on Twitter: @AcademicLifeNBN.