Crystal Byrd FarmerJan 28, 2021
How to Work Toward Diversity and Inclusion in Campus Organizations
A Discussion with Crystal Byrd Farmer
New Books Network 2020
Welcome to The Academic Life. You are smart and capable, but you aren’t an island, and neither are we. So we reached across our mentor network to bring you podcasts on everything from how to finish that project, to how to take care of your beautiful mind. Wish we’d bring in an expert about something? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Find us on Twitter: The Academic Life @AcademicLifeNBN.
In this episode you’ll hear about: the need for diversity and inclusion in campus organizations, what it means to do The Work, and a discussion of the book The Token.
Our guest is: Crystal Byrd Farmer, an engineer turned educator. She is the author of The Token: Common Sense Ideas for Increasing Diversity in Your Organization.
Your host is: Dr. Christina Gessler, a historian of women, gender, and sexuality. She reinterprets the historical narrative in both traditional and creative forms.
Listeners to this episode might be interested in:
- The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America by Richard Rothstein
- Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor by Layla Saad
- Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? And Other Conversations About Race by Beverly Tatum
- College Presidents and the Struggle for Black Liberation by Eddie Cole.
- Seeing White podcast series from Scene on Radio
- AWARE-LA. White Anti-Racist Culture Building Toolkit
- Dismantling Racism Workbook