Eyes Wide Shut


In a past episode in which they discussed the films of Tom Cruise, Mike told Dan, “You’re the smartest person I know who ever made it all the way through Eyes Wide Shut.” After reading a forthcoming biography of Stanley Kubrick, Dan returned to the film and urged it on Mike, who rewatched it, but who still finds it a total failure. Dan thinks it’s a sobering and startling portrayal of a man exiled from his own Eden—a fool’s Paradise—while Mike finds every element and deviation from established structures to be both ponderous and insincere. Is the film a misunderstood look at the nightmare of not knowing one’s spouse? Or is it simply an indulgent mess? Mike and Dan agree on the quality of 99% of the films they discuss, but like true film fanatics, bicker about the other 1%. Come along for the conversation about what makes a film successful--the password is “Fidelio!”

Those on Dan’s side will want to read Eyes Wide Shut: Stanley Kubrick and the Making of his Final Film. Those on Mike’s will want to urge Syd Field’s famous Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting on their opponents.

Follow us on X or Letterboxd. Incredible bumper music is by John Deley.

Related Topics

Your Host

Fifteen Minute Film Fanatics

Two friends with strong opinions watch films separately then discuss them on the show for the first time. Can their friendship survive? Join Mike and Dan as they discuss one film each episode--and in only fifteen minutes, give or take a few. There are no long pauses, pontifications, or politics--just two guys who want to share their enthusiasm for great movies. On Twitter. On Letterboxd. Email: fifteenminutefilm@gmail.com.

View Profile