Alicia AndrzejewskiJan 25, 2024
Inside Addiction and Sobriety in Academia
A Discussion with Alicia Andrzejewski
New Books Network 2024
How do the pressures of academia affect our relationships with ourselves, our work, and with substance use? Dr. Alicia Andrzejewski joins us for a candid conversation about her recent HuffPost article on her struggle to get and stay sober.
Our guest is: Dr. Alicia Andrzejewski, who is an assistant professor in the department of English at William & Mary. She is a scholar of early modern literature and culture; queer, feminist, and critical race theory; and the medical humanities. Her work has appeared in Shakespeare Studies, Shakespeare Bulletin, The Chronicle, Literary Hub, The Huffington Post, and other publications. Her current book project is Queer Pregnancy in Shakespeare’s Plays.
Our host is: Dr. Christina Gessler, who is the host and producer of the Academic Life podcast. She holds a PhD in history, which she uses to explore what stories we tell and what happens to those we never tell.
Listeners may be interested in this playlist:
- The Academic Life episode on the book Chasing Chickens: When Life After Higher Education Doesn't Go The Way You Planned
- The Academic Life episode on the book Managing Your Mental Health During Your PhD
- The Academic Life episode on Finishing Your Book When Life is a Disaster
- The Academic Life episode on mindfulness
- The Academic Life episode with Dr. Andrzejewski about ghosting people
Welcome to Academic Life, the podcast for your academic journey—and beyond! Join us again to learn from more experts inside and outside the academy, and around the world. You can support the podcast by downloading Academic Life episodes, and by sharing the show with a friend—because knowledge is for everybody.