Say Thank You for Everything: The Secrets of Being a Great Manager (Harriman House, 2022) is a bullshit-free guide to management that shows you the right way to lead a business, inspired by Jim Edwards’s experience of helping to transform a small unread blog into a business with 200 million readers and hundreds of employees, which finally sold for $442m.
Based on a legendary internal email that distilled 19 things a new manager might find helpful, Say Thank You for Everything will show you:
- the ‘whales and fails’ method of decision-making that systematically improves your team’s results
- the incredible power of being slightly better than average
- why good hiring is 80% of everything
- how to increase productivity and reduce burnout at the same time
- why your teams should never be bigger than five people
- the importance of taking your enemies to lunch
- the surprising places great ideas actually come from
- the dark arts of successful management
- and much, much more.
You might be a brand-new boss unsure where to start, or a struggling supervisor thinking of throwing it in, or perhaps someone who just doesn’t want to lose their humanity on the way to the executive suite. Say Thank You for Everything will help you look after your people, get results for your business, and be the kind of boss you always wanted to have yourself.
Jim Edwards won the Neal award for business journalism in 2005. He is the former editor-in-chief of Insider’s news division and was the founding editor of Business Insider UK.