Karin A. LewisJun 9, 2022
Scholar Skills: Editing a Book Collection Through a Professional Organization
A Discussion with Karin A. Lewis
New Books Network 2022
Welcome to The Academic Life! In this episode you’ll hear about:
- Dr. Karin Lewis’s experience pitching and winning the book bid
- Karin and the editorial team’s vision for an inclusive and diverse collection
- The process of working as a team to develop an idea into a book
- The realities of editing a large volume with many authors
- Blurring the lines of traditional scholarship with artistic and creative submissions
- Her advice to other scholars considering editing an established collection
Our guest is: Dr. Karin A. Lewis, an associate professor in the Department of
Teaching and Learning at the University of Texas – Rio Grande Valley. She teaches educational psychology in the areas of cognition, learning, human development, and adult learning at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. Her scholarship explores complexities of identity and agency from a multicultural, social justice perspective via transdisciplinary discourses and collaborative, collective ethnographic methodologies. Dr. Lewis is the Lead Editor for The Kaleidoscope of Lived Curriculum: Learning Through a Confluence of Crisis, 13th Annual Curriculum and Pedagogy Group, 2021 Edited Collection, published through Information Age Publishing.
Our host is: Dr. Dana M. Malone, a higher education scholar and practitioner specializing in college student relationships, gender, sexuality, and religious identities as well as student success and assessment planning. Dana first met Karin as a doctorate student at the University of Kentucky when Karin hired her as a graduate TA to teach courses offered through the university’s academic success unit. Dana has always been impressed with Karin’s dedication to students, love of teaching, and the grace with which she moves through the world.
Listeners to this episode may also be interested in:
- Curriculum and Pedagogy Group Edited Collections
- Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy
- About the Curriculum and Pedagogy Group
- The Academic Life episode on writing a book proposal
You are smart and capable, but you aren’t an island, and neither are we. We reach across our mentor network to bring you podcasts on everything from how to finish that project to how to take care of your beautiful mind. Here on the Academic Life channel, we embrace a broad definition of what it means to be an academic and to lead an academic life. We view education as a transformative human endeavor and are inspired by today’s knowledge-producers working inside and outside the academy. Wish we’d bring on an expert about something? DMs us on Twitter: @AcademicLifeNBN.