Father James Martin, SJJan 27, 2023
What if You're Gay?
Starting Conversations with and about LGBT Catholics
New Books Network 2023
Since 2016, and with the blessing of Pope Francis, Father Jim Martin has been talking with LGBT Catholics about their relationship with their church. That’s the subject of his book, Building a Bridge, and also a documentary film by the same title; we talk about what the bridge is and where it might take us. He also reflects on his vocation as a Jesuit priest and editor-at-large at America Magazine: the Jesuit Review and about his travels in the Holy Land.
In this episode we refer back to earlier conversations, including episode 16 with Colleen Dulle of America Media and episode 17 with Fr. Greg Boyle, SJ of Homeboy Industries, both from May of 2022.
In response to this episode, Garrett Johnson who works with Courage, the Catholic Apostolate for people experiencing same-sex attraction, shared with me a very different approach to this question than the one Fr Jim presents.
- Fr. James Martin at America Magazine
- Outreach, an LGTBQ Catholic Resource
- Fr. Jim’s article on the Good Samaritan and the Road to Jericho
- Fr. Jim’s 2009 article, “What Should a Gay Catholic Do?”
- Fr. Jim’s books on Amazon.com.
- Colleen Dulle on Almost Good Catholics, episode 16: Marxists and Mystics: A Vatican Journalist discusses her Biography of Madeleine Delbrêl and the New Papal Constitution
- Fr. Greg Boyle, SJ, on Almost Good Catholics, episode 17: Eternity Now: Talking about Mysticism with the Apostle to the Gangs of LA.
- Garrett Johnson on Almost Good Catholics, episode 42: Who Do You Think You Are? Thorny Questions about Sex, Identity, and Catholic Doctrine.